Message from Chairman Liz!
In 2012 :-
- We planted over 2000 new bulbs and the snowdrops are coming up already.
- We transplanted masses of bluebells and narcissi from the nursery beds to the public areas of the park.
- We planted a streamside bed with candelabra primula and found some steps in the nearby jungle.
- Using funds raised from our plant sale we purchased some unusual cercidiphyllums, shrubs with fantastic autumn colours and another shrub, a fothergillia gardenia, again giving both spring and autumn colour.
- We planted some rarer hamamelis (witch hazels) to add to the Hollies collection. These are showing some small scented red, orange and yellow flowers now.
- And of course we cleared several areas and got rid of tons of rubbish.
Why not admire our achievements and take a walk in the Hollies now. It may be wintertime, but there are some wonderful scented shrubs. The sarcococcus, viburnum bodnantense, and witch hazels are all out and the hellebores (Christmas roses) by the tennis courts are coming into flower too.
So let’s make an even bigger difference to the Hollies in 2013.
Please come along and help this Saturday January 12th. Meet at 10 o’clock in the car park as usual. Coffee, tea and cakes afterwards.
Loppers, secateurs, rakes and thick gloves required!